Virgin Trains strive to protect the privacy of all personally identifiable information collected during the course of providing services and it is important for you to know how we process your data. By using our services or providing us with information you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this policy and also agree to be bound by our Terms and Conditions.
Virgin Trains is the trading name for Virgin Rail Group Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries as follows: Virgin Rail Group Holdings Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 4196341. Virgin Rail Group Limited, Registered in England & Wales No. 328548. West Coast Trains Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 3007940. Registered Office: The Battleship Building, 179 Harrow Road, London, W2 6NB, VAT no. 672859095.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following data:
- Information you provide to us by filling in forms on our site
- Information collected through correspondence with our Sales and/or Customer Relations teams
- Information you provide when signing on to station and/or onboard Wi-Fi
- Information you provide when using Beam (onboard entertainment system)
- Information you provide when booking direct via www.virgintrains.com or through a Virgin Trains ticket office
- Information you provide for loyalty purposes
- Information you provide when registering for Bump
- Information you provide to us through the recruitment process
- Information you provide to us in order to register for alerts
- Social Media interaction
- Information you provide to us by entering competitions
- CCTV at our Stations and On-Board
- Statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns for the administration of your application for employment with Virgin Trains
We may require you to submit personally identifiable information in order for you to make use of our services. You confirm that any information you enter will be true. We will only request and collect information which is necessary or reasonable in order to provide you with your requested services and to improve the services that we provide. It will not be a requirement to provide any additional information which is not needed to provide the services.
Use of information collected
The personal information you provide is used for operational purposes, for example, producing tickets, processing payments or confirming orders, alerting you about your booked journeys, and to personalise your shopping experience by using your purchases and browsing activity to make recommendations to you about products and services that we think may be of interest to you.
We and/or our authorised third parties (including the Association of Train Operating Companies) may also use your personal information: (a) for internal market research and analysis purposes; (b) to carry out survey related activities with you, and (c) dealing with any complaints, refunds and other ticketing / travel issues.
Who do we share your information with?
The information you provide to us may be accessed by our staff, business partners, Virgin Group companies and carefully selected third parties in the course of providing services. We may also use information in aggregate, where personally identifiable information is removed, for marketing and strategic development to improve and support our business.
Some of your information may be transferred out of the European Economic Area (EEA), where data protection laws are not as strong. We will however make every effort to ensure that third parties comply with this policy and the Data Protection Act as much as possible.
Virgin Trains will not share or distribute any of the information you provide to us to unaffiliated third parties without receiving your consent, unless required to do so by Law.
We employ administrative, electronic and physical security measures to ensure that the information that we collect about you is protected from access by unauthorised persons and protected against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. By using our website and/or services you acknowledge and agree that, except to the extent required by the Data Protection laws, we shall not be responsible for any unauthorised use, distribution, damage or destruction of personal data. We will only retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of the data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk.
We may link you to third party websites which have their own privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy policies, content or security of these websites.
Some of the information you provide to Virgin Trains when applying for vacancies through our careers service may be sensitive personal data which requires your explicit consent to permit us to process it. If you do not tick the box on the application form confirming that you accept the declaration then Virgin Trains will not be able to accept your application.
We will only use this data:
- for confirming your suitability for the work that you carry out, including any checks that are required by Virgin Trains or any other body to be made with the Criminal Records Bureau which may result in Virgin Trains retaining information about criminal convictions;
- in connection with your health including screening and making decisions based on any health records which may be collected by, or transferred to, Virgin Trains;
- for any statutory requirements relating to you or your application;
- for monitoring our selection processes;
- to transfer to your employee file if your application is successful;
- for retention following the outcome of any unsuccessful application.
We employ CCTV on our trains and in our stations in order to:
- prevent, deter and detect crime
- apprehend and prosecute offenders, and provide evidence to take civil action in the courts
- help provide a safer environment for our staff
- protect public safety
- help to provide improved customer service, for example by enabling staff to see customers requiring assistance
- monitor operational and safety related incidents
- assist with the verification of claims
You have the right to make a Subject Access Request for CCTV images of yourself and to ask for a copy of them. We are entitled by law to charge an administrative fee for this and you will need to complete an application form provided by us in order for us to establish your identity as the person in the pictures and assist us in finding the images in our system.
Such requests should be directed to Virgin Trains at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively by post to Customer Relations, Virgin Trains, FREEPOST BM 6613, PO BOX 713, Birmingham, B5 4HH. Your correspondence should be marked 'Subject Access Request - CCTV'
We reserve the right to withhold information where permissible by the Data Protection Act and we will only retain CCTV images for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law. In certain circumstances we may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons. When this is done there is a requirement for the organisation that has received the images to adhere to the Data Protection Act.
You have the right to request to see the personal information that we hold on you, as well as request that inaccurate information be corrected. Any request to update incorrect information or to opt-out of any communications that you initially agreed to receive should be directed to Virgin Trains at email@example.com or alternatively by post to Customer Relations, Virgin Trains, FREEPOST BM 6613, PO BOX 713, Birmingham, B5 4HH.
We are entitled by law to charge an administrative fee (Up to £10) towards our costs in processing such requests and we may require proof of your identity before we supply the information to you.
This policy was last updated on 03/06/2016
Virgin Trains is the trading name for Virgin Rail Group Holdings and its subsidiaries as follows: Virgin Rail Group Holdings Limited Registered in England and Wales No. 4196341. Virgin Rail Group Limited Registered in England & Wales No. 328548. West Coast Trains Limited Registered in England and Wales No. 3007940. Registered Office The Battleship Building, 179 Harrow Road, London, W2 6NB